Tips for Building a High Quality Email List and Newsletter Following
Published by: Andrew Paul | Category: Blog, Email Marketing, Email Service Provider (ESP)
Are You Ready to Build an Email List?
Building a quality email list for your company’s newsletter isn’t an easy undertaking. Don’t try and shortcut the process by buying an email list to get started or thinking it will be an easy way to jumpstart your program. This would be the biggest mistake you can make when starting out. Building an email list from scratch is really the only way to get started, giving you active, qualified, subscribers from people who are genuinely interested in your products, services, expertise and want to hear what you have to say.
Below are some basic tips on getting started building your optin email list.
- Put a newsletter signup link or form on every page of your website. This is normally done in the footer. If you cannot do this, at a minimum, have a signup form on your website’s homepage.
- Ask every customer if they want to receive your email newsletter.
- Build relationships and trust with your subscribers.
- Make the signup process simple and easy. Keep your signup fields short and sweet. Don’t ask for too much information.
- Always send a confirmation email to the individuals who sign up to receive your newsletter.
- Promote your email newsletter on your blog and social media profiles.
- Share your latest news, special events, promotions and blog articles on all of your social networks and let those not on your mailing list see the great content you’re providing on a regular basis.
- Offering great, quality content on your website and blog will keep people coming back and will also have other bloggers linking to your website or blog.
- Make sure you think about and use quality subject lines in your newsletter campaigns.
- Make it easy for someone to unsubscribe if they do not want to receive your newsletter anymore.
- Use a quality ESP (Email Service Provider) to send your email newsletter. Don’t think you can load up your names in Outlook or Gmail and send your newsletter to your recipients’. It won’t work.
- Make sure your email signups are real. Clean and validate your email subscribers on a regular basis to ensure they are valid and deliverable.
The benefits of compiling a quality optin email newsletter list are in building relationships and trust with your subscribers. Your subscribers will stay with you longer if they feel as though they are getting something from you which offer a tangible value. Sending a newsletter that has quality content and valuable information is essential in keeping subscribers coming back for more. Building credibility and a level of trust with your subscribers will grow your newsletter base over time. Whatever you promise to deliver in your newsletter to your subscribers, make sure that you deliver on it. Building this list will be a long, tedious process. Be patient as it will benefit you greatly in the long run.