If you hear, “Put down the burrito and step away from the re-fried beans”, coming through a megaphone from the other side of your office, you know you have a problem. Unlike when you have a problem with your email marketing efforts, there is no one with a megaphone letting you know you’re in trouble.
The problem is that most people don’t realize they have a problem; unlike a bad case of you know what. We’ve all been there. You don’t know where it started. You don’t know how to fix it. And, unfortunately, you don’t know what to do about it. If, after taking a step back, you realize that your marketing strategy is about as pretty as a greasy bean and cheese burrito, on the exit, it’s time to rethink your strategy. The last thing you want is for it to get out of control.
Next time you make a dash for the closest toilet in reach, consider the source of the problem. While you can easily blame your week-long trip to Cozumel as the reason for your explosive digestion issues, the cause of your marketing strategy going down the drain may not be so easy to pinpoint. Unfortunately, when it comes to your business’ marketing strategy, there are no quick remedies. You can’t just strap on an adult diaper and be confident that everything will be okay. If your marketing department has invested your entire marketing budget into advertising channels that aren’t producing quality sales leads, things can get a little messy, if you know what I mean. And, to add to the problem, a poor marketing strategy will cause stains that a little bleach can’t fix.
I apologize if you have stumbled upon this article during your lunch break. My intention is not to gross you out (well maybe, a little), but rather to inspire you to make the necessary changes in your marketing plan now before things get out of hand. The repercussions of sticking to your current way of doing things are far more than a smelly bathroom.
If you want to get the most bang for your buck, your odds lie in the most inexpensive and often overlooked method of outreach available – email marketing. With this unique platform, you are able to take full control of the message that gets disseminated, and you are able to target your audience to ensure that your advertisement is reaching the right inboxes at the right time. However, the majority of companies are not taking full advantage of everything this marketing platform has to offer. Reaping the full benefits of your future email marketing campaign requires consideration of the following variables or “pieces of the puzzle.”
1. An enticing subject line that can’t be ignored
2. An email creative that captures your message in as little words as possible, incorporates a compelling “call to action,” and seamlessly directs the prospective consumer to your website for additional information
3. A promotional offer that provides something of value to the customer rather than something that looks spammy or seems too good to be true
4. An email that reaches the consumer at a time when they are likely to whip out their wallets and make immediate purchasing decisions
5. A landing page that is easily navigable and directly correlates to the message within your advertisement
6. A high-performing email B2C or B2B database consisting of email addresses that are up to date and of people who fit your demographic and psychographic criteria
7. A good IP or sender reputation that promises an unmatched level of deliverability
8. An ESP (Email Service Provider) that is reliable and can handle the volume of traffic you are sending on a daily/weekly/monthly/yearly basis
It is never too early restructure your current promotional tactics so that your message demands attention from those Internet users out there and captures their interest the first time with a well-crafted, informative, aesthetically appealing, and relevant email campaign. Before nature calls and you begin hearing that rumbling in your stomach, act now or forever hold your peace. Otherwise, you won’t be prepared when the shit hits the fan and there is only 4 sheets left on the roll.